Cherry brownies are a rich, frostingless brownie with a fudge-like base and a cheesecake-like top, filled with maraschino cherries and chocolate chips.
- Cherry Brownies from the Wikibooks Cookbook—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation license
- Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- Serves: 36
- Melt margarine in a saucepan at medium-low heat, then mix in the cocoa.
- Add the sugar, salt and first two eggs, blend well and then fold in the flour.
- Spread in a greased 9" by 9" (22 cm by 22 cm) cake pan and set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese, cherry syrup and icing sugar together in a bowl until creamy.
- Add the remaining egg to the mixture and blend well.
- Add the chocolate chips and cherries.
- Pour the second mixture over top the base.
- Bake at 350 °F/175 °C for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick poked through the centre comes out moist (but not wet with batter).
- Let cool and cut into 36 squares.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting and eating or you will have hot broken brownies everywhere.