Cherry contest entry submitted by: Kathleen M. Hooker. Great over grilled ribs or chicken.
- ½ cups sugar, brown or white only
- ¼ lbs. sour cherries, pitted
- 6 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 6 ¾ tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 4 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup ketchup or (1 cup tomato sauce)
- 1 tsp. hot sauce, or more to taste
- Mix sugar, cherries, vinegar, water, and black pepper in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue to cook at a slow boil for about 45 minutes or until thick.
- Remove from heat. Add ketchup (or tomato sauce), mustard, and hot sauce; mix really well. Serve as a marinade for meat or dip. Reserve the remaining barbecue sauce in the freezer or refrigerator.