Makes 10 to 12 servings
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Hershey's cocoa
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling, divided
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease bottom only of 9-inch spring-form pan.
- Stir together butter, granulated sugar and vanilla in large bowl.
- Add eggs; using spoon, beat well.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake is set.
- Cake is fudgey and will not test done.
- Remove from oven; cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar in medium bowl until well blended; gradually fold in whipped topping, blending well.
- Spread over top of cake.
- Spread 1 cup cherry pie filling over cream layer; refrigerate several hours.
- With knife, loosen cake from side of pan; remove side of pan.
- Cut into wedges; garnish with remaining pie filling.
- Cover; refrigerate leftover dessert.