Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Here is a family-style dish to be served any time of year. It is a substantial soup stew, well seasoned in Afghan style and combined with a crispy-bottomed rice provides contrasting texture to stew. The stew and rice are served separately.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Yield: 6 servings
- 5 cups water
- 4 chicken legs and 4 chicken thighs, loose skin - discarded
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked in - water overnight and drained
- 2 medium (1 cup) onions, chopped
- 1 rib celery with leaves, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1 (½ lb) zucchini, sliced
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cumin seed
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups raw rice, well rinsed
- ¼ cup corn oil
- Bring water to a boil, add chicken pieces, and remove foam as it cooks.
- Add chick-peas, onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, salt, pepper, and cumin seed.
- Cover pan and cook over moderate heat for 45 minutes.
- Add coriander, dill, and lemon juice and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes more.
- This is sufficient to tenderized chicken and ingrate all seasonings.
- Bring 4 cups water and salt to a boil in pan.
- Add rice and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Drain rice in colander and rinse with cold water.
- Return rice to pan and pour oil over all.
- Cover pan and cook over low heat for ½ hour.
- No other water is added and rice cooks only moisture clings to it after rinsing. The rice will develop a crisp bottom layer.
- Serve rice and stew separately.
- Each diner takes their own portion of rice and covers it with as much stew as they wish.
- Serve warm.
- 2 lb of boneless beef chuck cut into 6 equal pieces may be used in place of chicken, but cooking will take longer.
- Cook beef stew over moderate heat for 1 hour.
- Add coriander, dill, and lemon juice, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, ½ hour more, or until beef is tender.