Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Chef Bayo's Tanzanian green tomato chutney
- 12 oz green tomatoes or tomatillos, cored and cut into ½ inch dice
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into ½ inch dice
- 2 large green (under-ripe) papayas (about 12 oz each), peeled, seeded, and cut into ½ inch dice
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- Place the green tomatoes, onions, and papayas in a large heavy pot.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, salt, and spices.
- Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer uncovered until the mixture is thick, about 1 hour.
- Add peppers at the end.
- Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate covered until ready to use.
- The chutney will thicken slightly as it chills.
- If you prefer a less liquidy chutney, drain a bit off.