Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe is great with any meal and serves as a good lunch dish.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Diabetic Cooking Magazine via dlife
- Servings: 6
- 2¼ cups water, divided
- 1 cup stone-ground or regular yellow cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ¾ cup (3oz) reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced 
- 1 tsp margarine
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups coarsely chopped peeled eggplant
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- ½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp minced fresh oregano
- ¼ tsp minced fresh rosemary
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp ground pepper blend
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil.
- Slowly add cornmeal, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Lightly beat eggs and egg whites with remaining ¼ cup water.
- Add to cornmeal; cook and stir until bubbly.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese, jalapeno pepper, margarine and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Pour into 9-inch square baking pan.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or until firm.
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Cook and stir onion, eggplant and garlic 5 minutes or until onion is transparent.
- Add zucchini, tomato, bell pepper, parsley, oregano, rosemary, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, red pepper and pepper blend.
- Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- Heat skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Cut polenta in 6 rectangles.
- Cook over medium heat 8 minutes on each side or until crusty and lightly browned.
- Serve zucchini stew over polenta.
- ↑ Jalapeno peppers can sting and irritate the skin; wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch eyes. Wash hands after handling.
Nutritional information Edit
- 219 Calories (30% of calories from fat) | 7g Total Fat | 10g Protein | 29g Carbs | 3g Dietary Fiber | 79mg Cholesterol | 437mg Sodium | 2g Saturated Fat | 141mg Calcium | 1mg Iron | Vitamin A 141 | Vitamin C 47mg
- Dietary Exchanges: 1½ starch/bread, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, ½ fat