This rich, sharp edition of the pita crisp is made, mixed, and packed with real cheese, margarine, herb powders, and spices, and is great with other side dishes, main dishes, or appetizers. Provolone commonly replaces Mozzarella and works for this recipe, too, while aroma, color, effort, and quality are worth it.
- 2 wholewheat pita breads
- ¼ cup reduced fat margarine
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, black or red only
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup part-skim mozzarella Cheese, grated or (1 cup Provolone, grated)
- Separate each pita into 2 rounds, making 4 rounds of bread.
- Cut each round into 4 triangles - you will have 16 triangles total.
- Place each triangle inside up in a lightly greased or sprayed baking sheet.
- Combine remaining ingredients just except for mozzarella and spread over triangles. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake at 400° F for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden-brown.
- Watch carefully so they do not burn. Serve hot and plain or with other appetizers, side dishes, or main dishes.