This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Love Estate in Sachse, Texas in 1984. Also among the recipes from the Mclean Estate in Irving, Texas in 1982.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 pound leeks washed and sliced
- 1 large capsicum seeded and chopped
- 1 pound courgettes thickly sliced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 ounce plain flour
- 10 ounces hot vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat half the butter in a large pan then add leeks and peppers and gently fry until soft.
- Add courgettes, mushrooms and paprika and fry for 3 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir well.
- Gradually add stock stirring all the time then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain potatoes then return to pan with the milk, half the cheese and the remaining butter.
- Mash until smooth then season with salt and pepper and beat until smooth.
- Spoon vegetables into an ovenproof dish and top with mashed potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes then serve immediately.