These are great!
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 cup milk
- ¼-pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 extra-large eggs
- ½ cup grated gruyère, plus extra for sprinkling
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk, butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg over medium heat, until scalded.
- Add the flour all at once and beat it vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for 2 minutes.
- The flour will begin to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Dump the hot mixture into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Immediately add the eggs, gruyère, and Parmesan and pulse until the eggs are incorporated and the dough is smooth and thick.
- Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round tip.
- Pipe in mounds 1¼ inches wide and ¾-inch high onto the baking sheets.
- With a wet finger, lightly press down the swirl at the top of each puff (you can also use 2 spoons to scoop out the mixture and shape the puffs with damp fingers).
- Brush the top of each puff lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with a pinch of gruyère.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown outside but still soft inside.