This egg-based dish is made and mixed with real cheese, cooked to smooth, white-hot perfection, and served especially for breakfast.
- 2 to 5 eggs, separated or whole
- 4 tbsp. hot water, optional
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. breadcrumbs, optional
- 2 cups grated cheese (Cheddar, Colby, Mozzarella, or Asiago)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Beat the egg yolks thoroughly and add to them the hot water (optional), salt, crumbs (optional), and cheese.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry, and fold them carefully into the yolk mixture. Heat the butter in a frying pan.
- Pour in the mixture, brown very slowly over the heat, and then place in the oven to cook the top. Serve at once.