This salad is also a great appetizer. You may use your favorite vinaigrette or olive oil as dressing.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cup (4 oz) cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper
- flour for dredging
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- seasoned breadcrumbs for dredging
- oil for frying
- 5 cups (10 oz) mixed salad greens
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- vinaigrette dressing
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and milk and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in eggs and Cheese. Whisk until Cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add salt, pepper and Cayenne. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture in a bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the mixture and make 8-10 balls.
- Coat with flour, egg wash, then breadcrumbs.
- Place balls in a tray and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Cook fritters for 4 minutes until evenly brown. Drain excess oil by placing fritters on absorbent paper.
- In a bowl, toss the greens with your choice of vinaigrette dressing.
- Add fritters. Sprinkle cranberries, walnuts and ground pepper.