- 300ml/10fl.oz. Warm water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 225g/8oz masa harina flour
- 100g/4oz Manchego cheese, grated
- oil for shallow frying
- 1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 16 black olives, pitted and halved
- Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and gradually add the warm water, mixing to form a stiff dough..
- Add the Cheese and knead the dough for a few of minutes then form into 4 balls. *Flatten the balls to a thickness of about 12mm/ ½ -inch .
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan, add the arepas and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until crisp and golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper
- To serve – split the arepas in half, place on serving plates and garnish with the avocado, tomato slices and .