Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Serves 4
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bottled horseradish
- ¾ teaspoon garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds ground beef (option: use ground buffalo instead of ground beef)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut in ¼ inch cubes
- In a medium bowl thoroughly combine the onion, horseradish, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the beef and with your hands lightly bring all the ingredients together; being careful not to over work the meat.
- With dampened hands, form the meat into 4 patties of even thickness (these are fairly large patties; feel free to make 6 smaller patties if desired)
- Make a large depression in the top of the patties, about 2 inches wide.
- Place ¼ of the cheddar cheese in the depression (you may need to push some of the cheese lightly into the bottom) and bring the meat over the cheese, enclosing it completely.
- Place on a lined baking sheet, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, light the grill or preheat the broiler.
- Cook the burgers for 5 minutes a side or until desired doneness.
Nutritional information Edit
Per Serving (228 g-wt.):
- 580 calories (400 from fat) | 45g total fat | 20g saturated fat | 0g dietary fiber | 38g protein | 4g carbohydrate | 155mg cholesterol | 590mg sodium