Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 6 med chayotes, washed
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cup skim milk
- 1 cup evaporates skim milk
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 tbl chopped fresh parsley
- 3 x scallions, minced
- pepper to taste
- small amount of salt (optional)
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the chayotes, cover, and cook until they are tender when pierced with a skewer, about 30 minutes.
- While the chayotes are cooking, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and 1/2-cup of skim milk until smooth. In a large non-aluminum saucepan, stir together the remaining skim milk and the evaporated skim milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Very gradually whisk in the flour mixture. Stir until the sauce boils and thickens. Reduce the heat to very low and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sour cream, parsley, and scallions and season to taste with salt (optional) and plenty of pepper.
- Drain the cayotes and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Put the sliced chayotes in a serving bowl, pour the sauce over, and serve immediately.
- Serve with roast Pork loin, carrots, and potatoes.