- In a mortar and pestle, blender, or food processor, combine the peppers and the salt and process until the mixture is a thick paste.
- Gradually add the onion and garlic, and process, scraping down the sides of the container as necessary, until they are incorporated into the paste.
- Add the lemon juice and process again.
- Transfer the sauce to a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to stand for 30 minutes so that the flavors can marry.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chayote and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Add the salt and pepper, remove from the heat, and cool to room temperature.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Arrange the slices on a platter and drizzle with the sauce.