The perfect way to start the day - real fruit and vegetables mixed with cooked pasta and herbs are great for other side dishes and keep a robust aroma with the pasta, herbs, and spices.
- 1 ½ pounds red onion, diced
- 2 pounds red bell pepper, diced
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon jalapeño pepper, chopped finely, or to taste
- 1 cup tequila (or substitute orange juice)
- 3 pounds tomatoes (preferably roma tomato), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cups chopped cilantro
- ½ cup chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 36 oz. angel hair pasta
- 6 California avocados
- 3 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 24 lime wedges
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Mix with garlic and jalapeño pepper; sauté until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the tequila. Mix with tomato, cilantro, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, until the tomato releases juices, about 10 minutes; reserve.
For the pasta and vegetables and per plate Edit
- Cook 3 ounces of pasta in salted, boiling water until just tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, dice ½ avocado (about 2 ounces or ½ cup); reserve.
- Heat 1 cup reserved cooked vegetables.
- Stir in 1 ounce (¼ cup) cheese and reserved, diced avocado.
- Heat through. Adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Stir hot, drained pasta in vegetable mixture; toss over medium-high heat. Serve warm and plain with 2 lime wedges.