Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Wiki.com/Charlotte_Russe Charlotte Russe from Recipes Wiki—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup milk
- 1 x gelatin leaf, soaked in cold water
- 1½ cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 dash salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp Maraschino (cherry) liquor
- Pour milk into a large pot.
- Add a pinch of salt, then bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vanilla extract, remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until creamy.
- Add a little bit of the vanilla milk to *temper* the eggs. About ¼ cup of milk is okay.
- Pour the egg-milk mixture back into the pot with the rest of the milk.
- Over gentle heat, cook the mixture to a rose - stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it thickens.
- The heat must not exceed 185 °F (82 °C).
- Remove from heat, continue stirring.
- Squeeze out the water from the gelatin leaf, then add the gelatin to the hot cream.
- Stir until it dissolves.
- Pour through a wire strainer (to make sure the mixture is smooth) into a stainless steel mixing bowl.
- Place the bowl over crushed ice. Stir, until it starts to cool down and thicken.
- Fold in the whipped heavy cream and maraschino.
- Transfer to a round mold and chill until set.# This is the *charlotte*.
- Unmold the charlotte on a serving dish.
- Put a dollop of whipped cream at the flat side of the lady fingers, then press on the sides of the charlotte until completely surrounded by lady fingers.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream and sliced fruit.