Received from church pot luck in 1984. The lady who gave it to me said that her grandmother used to make it for her as a child, so it is at least 70 years old and another mainstay at our supper club and family gatherings. Yummy.
- 6 slices of day old bread crumbled
- 4 cups scalded milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 slightly beaten eggs
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare the pudding by putting bread into a buttered baking dish.
- Blend milk, butter, Sugar, eggs, salt, and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour over bread. Bake at 350 for 45–60 minutes until pudding is done (solid).
- Make the sauce by melting chocolate chips with corn syrup and evaporated milk.
- Pour over cooled pudding.
- Prepare topping by beating egg whites, cream of tartar, Sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Pour over warm chocolate, making peaks.
- Brown at 350 until golden brown peaks form.