Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Stewart Estate in Quinlan, Texas in 1994.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 6 small fresh beets trimmed of all but 2 inches of greens and unpeeled
- 2 medium red onions unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a moderately hot charcoal fire in a grill unit that has a cover.
- Place beets and red onions in a cast iron skillet and drizzle with olive oil then place skillet on grill rack over fire and cover the grill unit and roast the vegetables for 1½ hours.
- Remove vegetables from skillet with tongs.
- Add broth, vinegar and 1teaspoon thyme to the skillet then place over high heat and boil liquid scraping bottom of skillet for about 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Peel beets and onions when cool enough to handle.
- Slice beets into julienne strips and onions into thin rings then spoon liquid over onions and beets.
- Add remaining ½ teaspoon thyme and stir well to combine.
- Heat briefly and serve.