Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Holiday twist bread. Serves 18.
- 1 pack (or 1 tablespoon) active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup warm water (110°F to 115°F)
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 2½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1¼ cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the ¼ cup of warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine the flours and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg, oil, yeast mixture and remaining 1¼ cups of water.
- Mix well.
- Knead the dough on a floured board, adding more whole wheat flour until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into three parts. Roll each third into a strip about 15 inches long.
- Braid the strips together and place on a lightly-oiled baking sheet.
- Brush with the beaten egg. Sprinkle on the poppy seeds.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Nutritional information Edit
one serving = calories: 115 carbohydrates: 21 protein: 4 fat: 2 sodium: 59 potassium: 74 cholesterol: 15 exchange value: 1-½ bread exchanges