- 1 cup Lentils
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic, cloves. minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with juice
- 8 cups fat-free vegetable broth (beef broth optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Rinse Lentils several times in cold water, setting aside to drain.
- Heat garlic in olive oil in large saucepan, being careful not to scorch garlic.
- Add Onion and saffron and cook, stirring, until onions are tender (add a few drops of water if onions try to stick).
- Add carrots, celery, and turnip, cooking 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add Lentils, broth, tomatoes, and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer over low heat 1 1/2 hours until Lentils are tender and broth is slightly thickened.
- Add lemon juice just before serving.