Mushroom filled potato dumplings
- 2 pounds mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grate raw potatoes with the fine side of the grater.
- Place grated potatoes in cheesecloth folded over at least twice.
- Squeeze as much juice from the grated potatoes as possible.
- Do not discard the juice.
- Put the potato juice aside while preparing the filling.
- Heat sauté pan.
- Add oil, then butter.
- Add the mushrooms and onions.
- Sauté until all the mushroom liquid has reduced.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Continue to work on the potato mixture while this is cooling.
- Place the grated raw potatoes and the mashed potatoes into a large mixing bowl.
- Take the reserved potato juice and pour off the liquid.
- You should have potato starch left on the bottom of the bowl.
- Scrape out the starch and add it to the grated potato mixture.
- Add salt to taste.
- Knead with your hands until blended.
- Go back to the filling mixture and add the egg, breadcrumbs and seasonings.
- Take a handful of the potato dough.
- Shape first into a ball about the size of a large meatball.
- Flattened the ball into patty form.
- Take some of the filling and form it into a ping-pong sized ball.
- Place it in the center of the patty.
- Then enclose the patty around the filling, squeezing and smoothing it with your hands so that the potato mixture encases the filling, sealing it well.
- You will end up with a filled potato dumpling about the size of a lemon.
- Place the dumplings in lightly salted boiling water.
- Boil for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove from water with a slotted spoon and drain well.
- To serve, top with a dollop of sour cream.