- 450 g (1 lb) new potatoes, thinly sliced,
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets,
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- a pinch grated nutmeg
- 150 ml single cream or buttermilk
- 50 g (2 oz), grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180 °C / 350 °F / gas 4.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Layer the potatoes and cauliflower in a buttered 1.1 litre (2 pint) ovenproof serving dish.
- Stir the garlic and nutmeg into the cream and pour over the potatoes and cauliflower.
- Sprinkle on the cheese, cover and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Uncover and place under a medium grill until lightly browned.
- Serve at once, straight from the dish.