Notation on card says it was out of the Recipes from Old Virginia cookbook of 1828 from my Aunt Maggie's Collection.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 1 pound cooked and peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon granted lemon rind
- ¼ teaspoon mace
- 1 cup orange juice
- 6 egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- Mash the sweet potatoes.
- Add 1 cup of the sugar and the melted butter.
- Combine with beaten egg yolks, lemon rind, mace, and orange juice.
- Beat the whites until stiff and fold into sweet potato mixture.
- Pour into a well greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with ¼ cup sugar and bake in a 350°F oven for 1 hour.