Purchased from the McDonald Estate in Wylie, Texas in 1990. Dated 1974. This is an incredible recipe. I made it on Bunco Night when the theme was Chinese. You wanna see 12 women go nuts over Chinese, this is the one.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 12 cups roasted chicken
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 tablespoons water
- 2 cans bean sprouts
- 2 cans water chestnuts
- 3 cups boiled rice
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Combine onions, celery, bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Put vegetable oil in a large frying pan, turn flame to medium, and add the cut-up vegetables.
- Cook the vegetables together until the onions turn golden in color, stirring occasionally as the vegetables cook.
- Add chicken broth.
- Do not boil.
- Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce, season with salt and pepper.
- Combine cornstarch and water and combine until smooth.
- Add cornstarch mixture to the pan.
- Stir in chicken, sprouts, chestnuts and simmer until heated through.
- Serve over boiled rice.