Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A catfish stew recipe featuring bacon, vegetables, and garlic.
- 3 slices smoked bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4½ cups water
- 1 large ripe tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- ½ cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup small new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 3 pounds U.S. farm-rasied catfish fillets, cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- For garnish: chopped parsley and lemon wedges
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Drain off all but 4 tablespoons of bacon fat from the pan.
- Add onion and shallots and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent.
- Add garlic, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Adjust heat to keep stew at a simmer and cook, partially covered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato, carrots and potatoes and cook until tender.
- Add catfish pieces, parsley and green onions and cook, stirring gently, until is flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Crumble bacon and stir into the stew. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley and lemon wedges.