A Catfish recipe.
- 6 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets
- white wine or water for blanching
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 17 1/4-ounce packages frozen puff pastry, thawed (see Note)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Heat a skillet half full of wine or water over medium heat until simmering. Add Catfish fillets to skillet, two at a time, and blanch for 2 minutes. Carefully lift fillets with a slotted spatula and place in a pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to cool.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add celery, Onion, jalapeño pepper and garlic and sauté until Onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add Cajun seasoning and cook for 2 minutes. Pour Marsala wine into pan and simmer for 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the cream and cook for 3 minutes. Add bread crumbs and Cheese and cook until thickened. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to cool.
3. Preheat the oven 350 °F.
4. On a lightly floured surface, unfold one of the puff pastry sheets. Cut the square of pastry in half to form two rectangles. Place a fillet in the center of one of the pastry rectangles and spread 4 tablespoons of the vegetable mixture over the fillet. Brush pastry around fillet with beaten egg and place the other rectangle of pastry on top to cover the fillet, pressing sheets of pastry together firmly around the fillet. Brush top sheet of pastry with egg. Using a small, sharp knife, trim excess pastry away from fillet into the shape of a . Score a scale pattern lightly onto pastry with tip of knife if desired. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining fillets and sheets of pastry.
5. Bake Catfish pastries for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
6. While Catfish pastries are cooking, prepare the sauce. Place butter, remaining 1/4 cup cream and the basil in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon some sauce onto each serving plate and top with the Catfish pastries.