A Catfish recipe.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 U.S. farm-raised catfish fillets
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup giardeniara marinated garden salad, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 round loaf Italian bread (8 to 9 inches in diameter)
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch arugula
- 1 pound sliced provolone cheese (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season catfish fillets with salt and pepper.
- Fry fillets in the hot oil, in batches if necessary, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Place fillets on a plate to cool and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Drain giardeniara and place in a small bowl.
- Add, parsley, garlic and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and mix until combined.
- Slice the bread in half horizontally and pull out most of the soft white part in the middle.
- Spread half of the giardeniara mixture in the hollow of the bottom piece of bread.
- Arrange the fillets in a single layer over the vegetables.
- Top with layers of tomato slices, arugula leaves and provolone slices, if using, and remaining giardeniara mixture.
- Place the other half of the bread on top, pressing firmly into place.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the sandwich into wedges and serve.
- The wedges can be individually wrapped and served at a picnic.