A Catfish recipe.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups beef stock or canned broth
- 1 x 16-ounce can tomatoes
- 1 x 10-ounce package frozen cut okra
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 U.S. farm-raised catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- cooked rice for serving
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add celery, bell pepper, onion and garlic and sauté until softened.
- Add beef stock, tomatoes, okra, salt, thyme, cayenne pepper, oregano and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add catfish fillet pieces and simmer for 15 minutes or until flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve gumbo over cooked rice.