Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 pound skinned and boned farm-raised catfish
- seasoning mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- finely sliced green onion tops (optional)
- Cut catfish into pieces about 1-inch square.
- Toss with seasoning mix.
- Refrigerate, covered, one to two hours.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large skillet (iron preferred) until a light haze forms over pot but oil is not smoking.
- Lower heat and blend in flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat, until roux is dark brown, about 10 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth.
- Add catfish, discarding any liquid that has formed, and salt, black pepper, red pepper and pepper sauce. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve over beds of fluffy rice; sprinkle with green onions, if desired.