Here are a few of the most popular Swedish soups. You can expect to find such sup names both at a traditional Swedish meal and in a Swedish restaurant.
- Salmon Soup - A cream soup with salmon, potatoes and onion, flavored with dill and parsley.
- Mutton Stew - Includes root vegetables and cabbage and is flavored with ginger and pepper.
- Nässelsoppa - Stinging nettles are found in few cuisines outside Sweden.
- Orkdal Soup - A lamb and rice soup with carrots, cabbage and a bit of onion.
- Meat Stew - meat, potatoes, carrots and onion. The use of canned cream of mushroom and cream of tomato soup makes this easy to throw into the crockpot before you leave for the day.
- Scandinavian Yellow Pea Soup - This recipe includes carrots, potatoes, onions, Danish or Canadian bacon, and Vienna sausages.
- Yellow Pea Soup (Ärtsoppa) - An authentic Swedish-style recipe, just peas, water, salt, onions and a bit of herbs. You can add pork or lamb if you don't want the vegetarian version.
- Chilled Beet, Orange and Dill Soup - A cold soup for the buffet table, resonating with Swedish-favorite flavors of beets, dill and orange.
“2 cups dried yellow peas, 1½ lbs unsmoked salted bacon, 1 large onion, coarsely chopped, salt...Swedish Pea Soup
“Makes 4 to 6 servings. 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 small yellow onion, cut into small dice, 3...Spinach Soup
“3 tbsp beans, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 3 carrots, 1¼ litre (5 cups) bouillon, 1 leek, ¼ tsp caraway...Tripe Soup with Garlic Bread
“3/4 c dried apricots, 3/4 c dried prunes, 6 c cold water, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 sl lemon; 1/4...Fruit soup
“1 lb (2 c) dried yellow Swedish Peas -=OR=- domestic yellow split Peas, 5 cup Cold water, 2 med...Pea Soup with Pork
“60 gm butter, 80 gm plain flour, 1 1/2 lt Stock Melt the butter and cook the flour to a chestnut...Basle Flour Soup
“200 g bread, 2 onions, 1 tbsp plain flour, 2 tbsp butter, 1 litre stock, salt, pepper, ground...Bread Soup