A Catfish recipe.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced Onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or canned broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups ground cashews
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets
- vegetable oil for frying
1. To prepare the tomato basil sauce, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add Onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Add crushed tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add cream and return to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in basil. Set aside.
2. To prepare the Catfish, mix cashews, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, basil and black pepper in a shallow dish or on a piece of wax paper. Mix eggs and milk in another shallow dish. Dip Catfish fillets in the egg mixture, then dredge in the cashew mixture. Set aside on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
3. Pour a 1/2 inch of oil into a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Place the fillets in the hot oil and fry for 5 or 6 minutes on each side or until flakes easily when tested with a fork. Spoon tomato basil sauce onto each serving plate and top with a Catfish fillet.