- 1 pound dried black beans
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 garlic cloves (whole)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 11/2 cup white rice
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- herbs (thyme, oregano, marjoram, chives...)
- Make sure no stone or dirt remain in the beans; rinse them well, and cook them with water, one or two cloves of garlic and half an Onion. When it boils, decrease the heat and simmer for one and a half hour, checking regularly so that beans always remain covered with water.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large heavy pan. Add the rest of the Onion (chopped) and the rice; cook until rice becomes transparent (2 to 3 minutes).
- Add 1 cup of black bean soup (both beans and liquid), and stir delicately, avoiding to crush the beans.
- Add the broth, and the bean soup so that the rice absorbs the liquid, still stirring from time to time.
- Repeat the process until rice is cooked.
- Serve immediately, as suggested above.