This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the McGowan Estate in Sherman, Texas in 1991.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 pounds carrots
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger mashed through a garlic press
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- sprigs of fresh cilantro for garnish
- Peel and trim carrots and cut into matchsticks.
- Bring water to a boil in a vegetable steamer then add carrots.
- Cover and steam for 7 minutes.
- Remove from steamer and immediately run under cold water to sop further cooking.
- Drain and dry thoroughly on paper towels then set aside.
- In a medium salad bowl combine vinegar, lemon juice, ginger, sugar and mustard then whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add olive oil in a slow steady stream whisking constantly until vinaigrette is well blended and creamy.
- Add cilantro then season with salt and pepper.
- Add carrots and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, bring the salad back to room temperature.
- Garnish with cilantro.