- In a large cooking pot, bring water to a boil.
- Add carrots, potatoes, celery and onion; return to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Remove soup from heat, and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Puree in blender or food processor in batches until smooth.
- Return pureed soup back to pot.
- Add soy sauce, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, curry powder; stir well.
- Add whole milk, stirring constantly.
- Stir in potato flakes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot.