Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Makes 20 servings
- refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ cup (114 g) plain non-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) canola oil
- ½ cup (136 g) unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup (73 g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 2½ cups (313 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (110 g) shredded carrots
- 4 ounces (120 g) unsweetened crushed pineapple with juice
- ¼ cup (36 g) dark raisins
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, gas mark 6).
- Position the top rack in the center of the oven.
- Lightly coat a 9 inch (22.5 cm) bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Dust with flour and tap out excess.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, yogurt, oil, applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- On a piece of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt (if using), cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Gradually add to egg-applesauce mixture, stirring until incorporated.
- Stir in the carrots.
- Drain and reserve the juice from the pineapple.
- Stir the drained pineapple and raisins into the cake batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Slide a thin knife around the edges and center of the cake to loosen it from the pan.
- Invert onto a rack to cool.
- When ready to serve, transfer cake to a serving platter.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (cake only):
- 103 calories (20% calories from fat) | 3g protein | 2g total fat (0.2g saturated fat) | 19g carbohydrate | 1g dietary fiber | 123 mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: 1½ carbohydrate (1½ bread/starch)