Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Flemish Beef Stew
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 6 to 8 Servings.
- 2 pounds stew beef
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ pound onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 quart beer
- bay leaves
- 1 large baking potato, cubed (optional)
- 2 cups sliced carrots (optional)
- 4 thick slices French bread
- Dijon mustard
- cooked rice
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Brown in oil.
- Remove meat in large kettle.
- Sauté onions in same pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over onions land cook a few minutes more.
- Deglaze pan with vinegar and pour pan contents into kettle with meat.
- Cover with beer, thyme and bay leaves to taste.
- Add potato and carrots, if desired.
- Remove crusts from bread and coat generously with Dijon mustard.
- Place bread on top and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook, covered, for 2 hours.
- When stew is stirred, bread will dissolve and thicken the stew.
- Serve over rice.
- Variation: add more Dijon mustard according to your taste.
- Stew can be cooked uncovered if you prefer it thicker.