Makes 6 servings.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1/3 + 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Combine rice, 2-1/2 cups milk, 1/3 cup Sugar and salt in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 12 to 15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup milk to eggs.
- Stir into rice. Add butter and vanilla.
- Pour 1/2 cup Sugar into loaf pan.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until Sugar melts and turns a golden color.
- Tilt pan frequently as Sugar melts to coat sides thoroughly. Remove from heat.
- Spoon pudding into loaf pan. Cover and bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes. Cool.
- Unmold onto serving dish. Serve plain or with whipped cream.