Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2 lbs boneless stewing meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced thin
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- flour for coating
- 2 large sweet red bell peppers, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 rib of celery, sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz canned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (optionall)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1¼ cups plain yoghurt or sour cream
- In a shallow dish combine all the marinade ingredients and add the cubed caribou.
- Cover and leave in a cool place for 24 hours.
- Remove the meat cubes from the marinade.
- Pat dry and roll in a little flour.
- Strain the marinade and reserve.
- Cut the peppers in half and remove seeds.
- Chop the peppers into cubes.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Cut the celery into ½ inch slices.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the caribou quickly.
- Remove it then add the chopped vegetables to the oil and saute quickly; but do not allow to brown.
- Put the caribou and fried vegetables into a flameproof casserole.
- Add the tomatoes roughly chopped and the tomato paste.
- Sprinkle the paprika caraway seeds and salt and pepper to taste on to the contents of the casserole and pour in the marinade liquid.
- Stir well and bring almost to boiling.
- Turn down the heat and simmer gently on top of the stove for 1½ – 2 hours.
- 25 minutes before the goulash is ready add the potatoes peeled and cubed.
- Just before serving add the yoghurt/sour cream and stir.
- Taste for seasoning: more paprika or caraway may be added if liked.