Makes 8 servings
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- 2 x 10-ounce packages frozen sliced okra
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 x 14½- to 16-ounce can tomatoes (2 cups)
- 2 cups beef broth (or vegetable stock)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Butter 2½-quart baking dish. Sprinkle half the rice in the bottom of dish.
- Cover with half the okra, then half the onion and green pepper.
- Combine tomatoes, broth, salt and pepper; heat.
- Pour 2 cups over mixture in baking dish. Dot with butter.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 375°F for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.