Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Belgian beer stew
- 3 lbs chuck roast (I cube them, 1")
- 1 smoked ham hock, (optional)
- ½ cup oil
- 2½ tsp salt
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp parsley flakes
- 1 pinch marjoram
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 4 carrots, cut into 1" pieces
- ¾ cup walnuts, (optional)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, or red win
- 2 tbsp Scotch whiskey
- Remove ham from bone and cut into cubes.
- Brown beef and ham in oil in large skillet.
- Lift meat out, sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and set aside.
- Brown onions in same oil.
- Li and set aside.
- Drain and save all but 3 tbsp oil.
- Sift flour into oil to light brown roux.
- Gradually add 1½ cup beef, stirring until mixture boils.
- Add broth, rest of salt, pepper, sugar, herbs and garlic.
- Alternate layers of meat, onions and carrots in large casserole.
- Add sauce and enough beer to cover meat.
- Cover and cook in 300°F oven for 2½ hours (i cook on stove top) check occasionally and add beer if needed.
- Shortly before stew is ready, saute walnuts in reserved oil.
- It takes only a couple of minutes to get them crisp.
- Do not scorch.
- Add them to stew.
- Just before serving, add vinegar and scotch.