Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
An Italian term that refers to a pasta dish of spaghetti with a sauce of eggs, Parmesan cheese, ground black pepper and bits of stir-fried "pancetta" (a kind of cured, smoked and seasoned bacon made with the belly part of the pig). Fresh green peas are sometimes used to add flavor and color.
Outside of Italy, the distinctive creaminess it is widely believed to come from cream, but real carbonara has none. Creaminess is instead achieved by whisking raw eggs with some of the hot, starchy water used to cook the spaghetti.
It takes its name from the Carbonari; a secret revolutionary society founded in early 19th-century in Italy. Tradition says that the families of those outlaws used to bury food for them in agreed spots, and eggs, bacon and pasta were the most common choice for the way they conserve over time at natural temperature
- 16 ounces spaghetti
- 1 cup chopped turkey bacon or regular bacon (cut a pkg of bacon in half and freeze one half for later. easiest way to chop it is to use scissors on partially frozen bacon.)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups low-fat milk
- ½ cup low-fat or non-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- salt and ground black pepper
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add onion and garlic and saute 3 minutes, until onion is soft.
- Add oregano and cook 1 minute.
- Add flour and stir to coat onion.
- Add milk and bring to a simmer.
- Cook 5 minutes, until sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, Parmesan and parsley.
- Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
- Drain pasta and toss with sauce to coat.