Milk, Evaporated by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 (13-ounce) can evaporated milk
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine sugar and water in medium saucepan; cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue to boil, without stirring, 10 to 14 minutes, tilting pan occasionally to keep color even until stir in evaporated milk (mixture will foam up); do not scrape sides of pan.
- One tablespoon at a time, add ¼ cup butter, stirring well after each addition.
- Stir in remaining butter and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Serve over bread pudding, ice cream, cake, or fruit.