Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Milk, Evaporated by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 (13-ounce) can evaporated milk
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine sugar and water in medium saucepan; cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue to boil, without stirring, 10 to 14 minutes, tilting pan occasionally to keep color even until stir in evaporated milk (mixture will foam up); do not scrape sides of pan.
- One tablespoon at a time, add ¼ cup butter, stirring well after each addition.
- Stir in remaining butter and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Serve over bread pudding, ice cream, cake, or fruit.