Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at World Recipes Y-Group
- Makes about 12 cups
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter
- 1½ cups packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup salted peanuts (5 oz)
- special equipment: a candy thermometer
- Heat oil with 3 kernels in a 3-quart heavy saucepan, covered, over moderate heat until 1 or 2 kernels pop.
- Remove lid and quickly add remaining kernels, then cook, covered, shaking pan frequently, until kernels stop popping, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and uncover.
- Line bottom of a large shallow baking pan with foil.
- Lightly oil foil.
- Melt butter in a 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat.
- Add brown sugar and corn syrup and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring, then boil, without stirring, until syrup registers 300°F on thermometer, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Using a wooden spoon or a heatproof spatula, stir salt and baking soda into syrup, then quickly stir in peanuts and popcorn to coat.
- Immediately spread mixture in baking pan as thinly and evenly as possible.
- Cool completely, then break into bite-size pieces.