Makes 6 servings.
- 12 caramel candies
- 2¼ cups milk, divided
- 2 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Combine caramels and ¼ cup milk in small saucepan.
- Cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until caramel melts.
- Place equal amounts into 6 buttered ¾ cup custard cups.
- Spoon ⅓ cup rice into each cup.
- Blend remaining milk,eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and salt; pour evenly into each cup.
- Place cups in shallow pan containing 1 inch water.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until custard is set.
- Loosen custard with knife and invert onto dessert dishes.
- Garnish with chopped nuts or coconut, if desired.
- Serve warm.