Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: 25
Cook time: 35
This really is the crème de la crème of tarts. Great at any time, the flavours in this dish are absolutely exquisite. Serve with vegetables or salad for a tasty meal.
- 500 g shortcrust pastry, freshly made or ready prepared
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large red peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 100 ml fresh milk
- 100 ml fresh cream
- 4 large free range eggs, beaten
- 6 oz cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Roll the pastry to fit a greased 9 inch flan tin. Push well into the tin and bake blind for 10 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan and lightly fry the onions for 10-15 minutes until very soft and brown. Add the peppers, balsamic vinegar and sugar and continue to cook for a further 5-10 minutes until caramelised.
- Sprinkle half the cheese in the bottom of the flan case and top with the onion and pepper mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, cream, remaining cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over the other ingredients in the flan case and bake for 35-40 minutes until the flan has set.