Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 250g channa dal (gram dal)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large red capsicum
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2-3 dried red chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3-5 curry leaves
- coriander (optional)
- parsley (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic paste
- 6 servings Change size or US/metric
- Soak chana dal in water for a few hours prior to use.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, bay leaf, cinammon, ginger and garlic pastes, and cloves.
- Add onions and let it heat till they turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomato and curry leaves and then the chana dal, making sure to add enough water to cover the dal as it boils.
- Cook on medium-high heat with a closed lid for 15-20min until the chana dal softens, while continuing to replenish the water now and again as it evaporates (make sure that you add boiling and not cold water).
- As soon as chana begins to soften, add the sliced capsicum (or diced bottlegourd, if that is your preference).
- Stir it in well with the chana and continue to cook until both the chana and capsicum (or bottlegourd), have softened sufficiently.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with rice or paratha.