Each cup of canned whole fruit requires 1 to 1½ cups of canning syrup. This syrup is used in canning or freezing.
Types of canning syrup Edit
- light syrup: 2 cups sugar to 4 cups water = 5 cups syrup.
- medium syrup: 3 cups sugar to 4 cups water = 5½ cups syrup.
- heavy syrup: 4½ cups sugar to 4 cups water = 6½ cups syrup.
Canning fruit Edit
- apples = light syrup
- apricots = either medium or heavy syrup
- blackberries or raspberries = either medium or heavy syrup
- blueberries = no syrup, sugar or liquid
- cherries = light syrup
- peaches = medium or heavy syrup
- pears = light syrup
- pineapple = light syrup
- plums = medium or heavy syrup
- rhubarb = no syrup but instead, ½ cup sugar for each pint.