Fish and clam juice give this soup a hearty taste of the sea.
Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 8
- 2 lb varied fillets (such as haddock, perch, flounder, cod, sole), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, cut in thin strips
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup green peppers, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes, cut up, with liquid
- 1 cup clam juice
- ¼ tsp dried thyme, crushed
- ¼ tsp dried basil, crushed
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- Heat oil in large saucepan. Sauté garlic, carrots, celery, onion, and green pepper in oil for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except parsley and fish. Cover and simmer for 10–15 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
- Add fish and parsley. Simmer covered for 5–10 minutes more or until fish flakes easily and is opaque. Serve hot.