Chicken soup with lemon and mint
- Serves 6 to 8
- 3 lb chicken
- 6½ oz chicken giblets, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅔ cup rice
- juice of 1½ lemons
- 10 mint leaves, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan, add giblets, water, onions, celery, salt and bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and let it cool.
- Add rice to the broth and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the rice is soft.
- Stir occasionally.
- In the meantime, remove the skin from the chicken and take the meat off the bones.
- Discard bones and skin.
- Cut the meat into small strips and add it to the broth, add lemon juice, and serve sprinkled with mint.